The people and places of Gower made significant contributions to the Allied effort during World War Two.
The seaside communities of Mumbles, Caswell Bay and Newton were home to American soldiers who trained on Gower’s sandy beaches – most notably Oxwich Beach – in preparation for the D-Day landings (6th June 1944).
The US troops brought delicacies, such as pineapples and Hershey chocolate bars, which they shared with the local residents who were living under rationing at that time.
Mumbles Hill on the south-eastern tip of Gower was the site of defensive gunnery emplacements, which were situated here to defend the skies and shoreline from German attacks.
The gun emplacements and control bunker are still visible on the hill today.
RAF Station Fairwood Common was built on what was originally common land in Gower during World War II. It was established as a base from which fighter planes would protect the south west coast from German bombers, day and night.
It was re-opened in 1956 as Swansea Airport.
Whiteford Sands (pronounced Whitford) is a large expanse of dunes on the northern tip of Gower.
During World War II the Burry Estuary, which runs along this stretch of coast, was used by the army as a practice range for firing heavy weapons. Even to this day, unexploded bombs and shells occasionally surface on the beach.